Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Ideas

I have this recurring phobia that some day a decade or so from now I will leave this fascinating alumni business and that I will suddenly have an epiphany that would revolutionize the business and leave me slapping my head that I hadn’t thought of it sooner.

Fortunately I belong to a fairly esteemed group of alumni directors from around the country. They share their epiphanies. Most all of the directors of the large schools in the Big 10, Pac 10, ACC, SEC and Big 12 are outgoing, bullish on their institutions and definitely pro alumni. They believe in the power of alumni and university partnerships and they are pretty darn good at what they do.

For instance the LSU alumni association and their director Charles Roberts became the manager of the campus shelter subsequent to Hurricane Katrina. He and his staff became overnight hotel managers and did not go home for 2 weeks during the aftermath. Archie Griffin…yes that Archie Griffin is the alumni director at Ohio State. His Association hosted a party for 70,000 people the night before their championship football game. Finally, Howard Wolf—alumni president at Stanford lunches with Google and Yahoo CEOs and truly understands how to communicate in a technological world gone amuck. They all share their insights.

But let’s get back to some new ideas. Unlike rocket scientists (like Ellen Ochoa ’80, Deputy Director of NASA and former astronaut), but not quite as much as Baseball Managers (like Bud Black ’79), alumni directors are prone to being second guessed. So here is what I want you to do: Send me your ideas and suggestions for our Alumni Association. Here is my email: herrick1@mail.sdsu.edu I promise I will give them real scrutiny and consideration. Not only that I’ll share them with these other alumni directors at next month’s meeting.

Perhaps, together, we can evolve something significant for San Diego State and our alumni. Thanks.

1 comment:

D. Cobretti said...

Hi Jim,

I read your recent blog on "Ideas" and appreciate the effort you're putting in the blog as a whole. My thoughts might be a bit scattered on ideas since I've got a ton of them in many different capacities. Let me just stick with a couple that I'd like to see implemented in our alumni association.

First let me preface by commenting on how I see things which will probably be different than others. I live in the Bay Area, as you know, and since graduating from San Diego State in '91, I have always lived in the shadows of going to Cal and Stanford sporting events. When I became your chapter leader for the Bay Area Aztecs alumni group, I said to myself, we've got a huge alumni base and I'd be thrilled to build alumni spirit in the Bay Area. I didn't think it would be too tough, but now, a couple years into it, it's a lot of work. I'm doing my best and enjoying it. We can get our alumni program to the next level with a little creativity, commitment, support and effort.

On the idea front, here's what's on my mind:

1. Need updated alumni records to gain more involvement - It seems to me that many, possibly most, people these days have an email address. I have signed up for many services, features and offerings available on sdsualumni.org, but I think most alumni have not. Using a tool like Linkedin (www.linkedin.com) is just one idea that would be great to build your contact records. For my local Bay Area Alumni Chapter I created a SDSU Chapter Alumni badge that gets associated with your profile. People love having the badge associated with their profile and I have had more success finding SDSU Alumni this way than any other. There are other ways too, such as Facebook (www.facebook.com) that can be used to build groups and gather info. I currently use this service and the features on Facebook are rich and robust, making it a great place to engage alumni, post photos, exchange messages and so forth. If you use all the tools available it might get confusing so on each tool (i.e Linkedin) steer the users to sdsualumni.org as the central place to go for things like upcoming events, announcements, alumni achievements and so forth. You already have a great newsletter that you email regularly. Getting the records updated will get more eyes on the newsletter and thus more alumni interest and involvement.
2. Homecoming, at least for me, seems to have lost a bit of its luster. I attended last year. There isn't one reason for this but part of it is because our football program is rebuilding and playing at Qualcomm isn't the best location. In my opinion if you're an SDSU Alumni, this is the most important weekend to come to San Diego now matter where you are. So revamping the homecoming events and homecoming weekend would be great. It's not bad now, please understand. It's actually very enjoyable. But to get more attendance requires extreme measures. Everyone nationwide knows San Diego for its great weather and beaches. Let's capitalize on this during homecoming weekend. How about a Homecoming Luau Weekend theme? I know the Alumni Association has done this before (this past May) but why not "kick it up a notch". Add signature events that encourage participation, have medals or an annual trophy and publicize afterward. Participation can be a limbo competition with a cool annual trophy, a chili cook-off with alumni doing the tasting and casting votes, or how about something like an event with a coach (i.e. Coach Fisher, Coach Gwynn, Coach Kirshner) that ties them into their sport. With Coach Kirshner, the first 30 people to kick a soccer ball in a small goal from half field, get an autographed t-shirt by Coach K. There could be similar ideas with the other coaches across the board to create multiple events that almost make it like going to a carnival. Make some of the events eligible for Alumni Association members only so that there's incentive to be an annual / lifetime member. You’re not going to like this but maybe for lifetime members, we put you in a dunk tank! Each lifetime member gets a chance to throw a ball on the target to dunk you and win an alumni pin :)

Thanks very much for providing the great leadership with our Alumni program. I thoroughly enjoy supporting SDSU Alumni is any way I can to build it bigger and better.

Go Aztecs,

Keith Harris '91